Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Double Take

I watched Shutter Island for the second time last night, and while I was watching it I was able to pick up on little hints that the director throws into the film to help you in figuring out what is going on. Now, it was probably because I saw the film before and knew what happened that I was able to pick up on them ,but I was thinking about it and if you really watch a film and break it down while you are watching it, it was definitely possible to figure out what was going on before you got to the end. It all made me think, and this may just be me, but do we really actively watch films, or do we passively watch them for entertainment? When my roommate saw the film for the first time he said he was disappointed because it did not entertain him. Then, after he watched it a couple other times he appreciated the film. There are definitely separate types of films, such as ones that make you really think like Shutter Island, but others are just for entertainment like Anchorman. I don't think you can truly appreciate an in depth film such as Shutter Island without watching it multiple times. I know after I watched it the second time, I had a different view of how it ended. Watching films multiple times allows you to pick up on all the subtle camera shots and lines that are said throughout, which all help you figure out what the film is really all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment